Staying Warm & Safe During Cold Winter Months

With the weather turning cold, people are heading indoors. This is also the time of year when more fires occur in the home. That's why it's important to be diligent about fire safety. Here is a list of common household items to be especially mindful of:

  • Electronic Chargers - Charging all of our electronics quickly requires a lot of power being drawn, making them very hot. Keep them away from combustible materials such as fabrics and papers, as well as other wiring.
  • Portable Heaters - Never leave a room with a heater on and never plug the unit into an extension cord. The cords will overheat and cause a fire. Also, keep heaters away from combustible materials.
  • Candles - Never leave burning candles unattended...not even for a quick minute. Lit candles are a major cause of house fires.
  • Smoking Materials- Take extra caution with cigarettes, cigars, pipes, and other such items. Keep them away from combustible materials such as bedding, upholstered furniture like sofas and chairs as well as curtains and papers.
  • Flammable Liquids - These include paints, paint thinners and some cleaning products. Read the labels carefully and dispose of them properly.

An ounce of prevention goes a long way in preserving our cherished memories (i.e. photos, collectibles), keeps our loved ones safe and our home protected.