Free Food Resources for LA County Residents and Ways to Help
As COVID-19 continues to impact our lives, may of our neighbors are struggling financially to make ends meet. Sometimes this struggle includes feeding our families, for assistance you can visit https://www.getcalfresh.org/ to apply for food stamps or visit https://food-resources-lacounty.hub.arcgis.com/ to locate food pantry resources. If you'd like to volunteer with food distribution or donations, please visit the Los Angeles County COVID-19 resource page https://covid19.lacounty.gov/covid19-2/how-you-can-help/
DMV Extends All Expiring Driver Licenses
Due to the ongoing disruptions caused by the coronavirus, the California Department of Motor Vehicles has announced an extension for all expiring driver licenses.
- If you are a driver under the age of 70 whose license is set to expire between March and May of 2020, your license will now be valid through May 31, 2020
- Drivers 70 or older will receive an automatic 120-day extension in the mail
- Commercial licenses set to expire between March and May of 2020 are now valid through June 30, 2020. Visit https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv for full details.
Expanded COVID-19 Unemployment Benefits for Independent Contractors, Self-Employed and Business Owners
The new Pandemic Unemployment Assistance (PUA) program helps unemployed Californians who are business owners, self-employed, independent contractors, have limited work history, and others not usually eligible for regular state UI benefits who are out of business or services are significantly reduced as a direct result of the pandemic. The provisions of the program once operational include:
- Up to 39 weeks of benefits starting with weeks of unemployment beginning February 2, 2020, through the week ending December 26, 2020, depending on when you became directly impacted by the pandemic.
- An additional $600 to each PUA weekly benefit amount you may be eligible to receive, as part of the separate CARES Act Pandemic Additional Compensation program. Only the weeks of a claim between March 29 and July 25 are eligible for the extra $600 payments.
- Benefits can be retroactive to weeks starting on or after February 2, 2020, depending on your last day of work due to COVID-19 and regardless of when you submitted your claim application. Visit https://edd.ca.gov/about_edd/coronavirus-2019/pandemic-unemployment-assistance.htm for further details.